Replacing rear springs on a Midget

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Replacing rear springs on a Midget
From: Tim Holt <holtt@nacse.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:57:51 -0800
I'm about to replace the rear springs on my Midget.  Got a new set from
Moss Motors just yesterday.  One of the current springs has a cracked
leaf, plus I have a hunch that the two in there now aren't matched as well.

Anyway, I'm trying to get my mind around how the replacement will go
(remove old, put in new).  Specifically the part about getting the load
off the springs for removal.  Here's how I'm guessing I'll do it (based
on reading, long walks in the park thinking, etc.)

1) Jack up rear of car w/lift under rear differential until wheels are
off ground.
2) Remove wheels.  At this point the springs are sort of "reverse"
loaded - instead of the axles pushing up on the springs, they are now
'hanging off' the springs.

2) Put a jack stand under the two axles.

3) Lower the car just a bit until the springs aren't loaded.  Too low
and the weight of the car is compressing them down.  Too high and the
weight of the axles+wheels is pulling them out.

4) Remove springs now that they are not under any load, and then replace.

That sound about right?

Tim Holt
'74 MG Midget