Re: Tube shock conversions?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tube shock conversions?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:27:18 -0800
If your lever shocks are in OK shape, and you aren't planning any other
extreme handling modifications, I'd say just keep 'em.

I went with tube shocks because all the lever shocks were competely shot,
and at the time it was considerably cheaper to convert than to replace. I
don't know if that is the case any more.

The opinion has been expressed on this list many times, that the greatest
part of the improvement reported from converting to tube shocks, is merely
the difference between worn-out lever shocks and brand-new tube shocks. I
can't really say anything about this since I haven't driven an MG with known
good lever shocks (they all have had at least 50K miles on them). But I
wouldn't jump right into the conversion without any good reason to do so.

On the other hand I don9t think it would matter to just have tube shocks on
one axle. Most folks don't manage all four in one weekend, anyway, I would
guess.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149