Re: Tube shock conversions?

To: "Mages, Michael" <michael.mages@leanintree.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tube shock conversions?
From: "james" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:16:28 -0500
I have spax all the way round my '71 BGT V8.  The car is also running on 1"
lowered springs and all poly bushes.  I personally can't feel a bit of
vibration through the wheel or seat, but I have heard complaints about that.
I personally love the spax.  Many people will tell you that the lever
dampers in working condition are fine, but mine were not in such condition.
Anyways...I love the spax and think they are just right for the road on
their softest setting but they are $$$.  My dad has Monroe's on the back of
his '74 BGT and he has always felt that they were too stiff.  He has also
been afflicted by shock bolts that vibrate loose regardless of Nylon,
Loctite, etc.  I haven't been in that car in years so I can't speak to their
stiffness.

I expect that you will get a lot of messages saying stay with the levers if
they work, and I think I agree.  For a driver, I would stick with the stock
parts as long as they are serviceable.  I don't think that I would rebuild
them though, I think at that point I would put tube shocks in.

My biggest concern with only doing the front or rear at one time would be if
the dampening rates were vastly different; it could introduce some odd
handling characteristics.  I would also say that if the bolts are in good
condition (maybe checked/cleaned) that you could install any of the kits in
car without too much trouble.

James Nazarian