Rough-running B

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rough-running B
From: "Phillip Erikson" <perikson2@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 13:27:11 -0800
Hi, Listers. First, let me share my sorrow at losing the shuttle Columbia and
its crew - my condolences to their families and friends. Second, on to more
mundane concerns. Last week my wife and I drove the B from our home in West
Covina to Autobooks, Inc. up in Burbank. After warming up, the engine started
missing under acceleration above 4000 rpm. It was a beautiful, warm day and
I'm sure a lot hotter under the hood. So I began wondering whether the cause
was fuel- or electric-related. Well, today, I know. I recently noticed that
the B had developed a coolant leak and it looked like it was in the vicinity
of the radiator-cap elbow. So this morning,  I took it to the shop to have it
welded (soldered?) up; they found it was the overflow tube that was loose. But
when they put the system under pressure, the heater valve leaked like a sieve.
And guess what's right under the heater valve? That's right - the Mallory
dual-point distributor. So when I was driving it up to Burbank, it was getting
hotter and as the pressure went up, the valve began leaking onto the
distributor-mounted condensor. That could have been causing my stumble -- but
we'll see after I replace it with a new one. I already ordered it from Moss
and I'll should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks,

Phil Erikson
West Covina, CA
'66 MGB