RE: Rough-running B

To: "'Steve Shoyer'" <Steve@shoyer.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rough-running B
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:34:32 -0800
> Has anyone come up with a shield for the distributor so it
> won't get wet when the valve leaks?
>
> --Steve (1980 MGB)

Steve:

On the way to work one morning, I realized that my B was running rough
because the cylinder head had cracked and when cold was spraying anti-freeze
onto the distributor.  Since I was already late, I grabbed a shoe box that
was in the trunk and folded it over the dist. assembly.  The car ran fine
after that.  So it stayed that way for 3 years.  It made quite a stir at car
shows!

You can guess the typical comment.  "Why don't you replace the head?"  "Well
gee, the car is totalled anyway and the engine has over 150,000 miles on it,
so why bother putting time and energy into a car I'm going to part out?  It
still runs, and gets me to work."

I guess this would work with heater valves too, but I think replacing the
heater valve would cause less comments.

all the best

Kelvin.    (willing to do almost anything to keep em on the road)