Re: Dual circuit conversion

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dual circuit conversion
From: "james" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 23:09:22 -0500
I think it is just a matter of procuring a dual circuit MC and one of the
distribution blocks (with pressure differential warning switch), as well as
the lines to do the conversion.  A used PDWS should be easy to come by, but
be wary of used MCs, they don't lend themselves to kitting as well as some
other styles so probably spring for new here.

IMO you don't necessarily need the PDWS block, it is a 5 port fitting, three
inputs on one side, one for each front wheel, and one for the front line
from the MC; the other side has two fittings, one for the rear line, and the
other for the rear line from the MC.  In between these two sides is a
sliding piston designed such that if one side loses pressure, the piston
will move to that side when the brakes are applied and will light an
indicator in the dash.  You don't need this unless you intend to wire up the
switch, otherwise you would need a 2-way connector to join the rear lines,
and a 3 way connector to join the front lines.  You will need the style that
has a land inside of them for the lines to seal against, I have found these
in 2 and 3 way versions at NAPA.

On the dual circuit cars, this fitting was bolted to the inner wheel well on
the driver side of the car.  I don't know where your junction is located,
but if it is in a similar area then you could probably use the existing
lines and only buy the MC to PDWS lines, but OTOH if you lines are old I
would suggest you replace them all.  I bought the Moss kit for one of my
cars and was pleased with the quality and completeness.  It came with
Cuppro-Nickel lines which are easier to shape.

Alternatively you could form the lines if you have a double flaring tool,
but you will have little luck forming the steel bundee tubing you find at
autoparts stores without a special bundee flaring tool.  For ease of
conversion and not having to rely on your flaring (unless you trust
yourself) I'd just buy the kit.  All of the lines are keyed so that you know
exactly where each one goes.

I don't think that there is anything hard about this, but try at your own
risk.
--Damn lawyers

James Nazarian
71 B tourer