rebuilt HIF's

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: rebuilt HIF's
From: "British Classics" <britclass@choicenet1.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:30:38 -0800
Monte,
one. <<<<<<<<

You may never have to do this to HIFs as they are throttle returned
differently than the HS models.
The spring coiled about the T- shaft does not impart a side thrust to
the shaft as the HS models are prone to do. I always polish the shaft
with crocus cloth and lube the shaft and bush with a good quality
synthetic grease and a drop or two of sythetic oil occasionally after
that. Be sure to always replace the butterfly with a new one ( I use
the early solid ones without the overrun valve) as they are prone to
wear at the point where it contacts the throttle bore and you will be
better able to dial in the idle mixture without having to deal with
the small amount of unmetered airflow that leaks past at this
juncture.

clearances<<<<<<<<<<<<

Invert the carb and set the float at the lowest part of the float in
the center of the inside crescent. This appears as a dip in the inside
of the float body.

started a few times in the last month. It ran fine for 6 miles, 2 of
them  at highway speeds. The clear fuel filter has no fuel in

 If you have stripped the car for the paint job and removed the rear
license plate and holder be sure to reinstall the ground wire that is
attached to the R/S bolt, this is the ground for the fuel pump. If you
got as far as you did with it unattached it may have been rubbing on a
grounding point and current flow to operate intermittently. It's
happened to others and may be worth looking at.

  Good Luck, Brad