rebuilt HIF's

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: rebuilt HIF's
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:48:03 -0600
I got one set of HIF's rebuilt this weekend. Got lucky and didn't have to
ream the bushes out of either one. I'm  a little unclear about setting the
float clearances and I hate to put them on the car and have to take them off
again. The SU rebuild video looks as if you measure the clearance at the
rear (unattached) end of the float, but the carb books say measure the
clearance at the middle of the last section (slanted) of the float. This is
a fairly substancial difference. Which is correct?

On a different note, I put on every bit of clothes I own and started the 8
mile drive to town (20 degrees here in Missouri), without top or windshield,
to take the dechromed 79B to the paint shop. Talk about windchill! I made it
within 2 miles of town and the damn thing died. Got it jumped it ran for a
few seconds and died again. Twice. Doesn't seem like it's getting fuel. It
has only been started a few times in the last month. It ran fine for 6
miles, 2 of them  at highway speeds. The clear fuel filter has no fuel in
it. Pump?
Anyhow, I had to have it trailered the rest of the way to town. Bummer. I
think I just told someone last week how reliable it has  been for the past
year :-).

Monte

          79B, Carmine. Soon to have a nice new paint job. It will look real
nice on the tow truck coming home :-)