Re: Rear tires rubbing

To: "Phillip Erikson" <perikson2@earthlink.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear tires rubbing
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:13:43 -0000
I seems to be standard on pretty-well all MGBs that the left tyre is closer
to the outer wing by about 3/4" or so compared with the right.  It is a
commonly held view that it is the axle that is out, but on all three of mine
the brackets are equidistant and the rear wheels are square with the front
in alignment checks, so that leaves a panel alignment error, and if you
think how many panels there are between the spring hamngers and the outer
wing there is plenty of scope for error.  Normally there should not be a
problem unless someone has put wire-wheel hubs on a steel wheel axle
(so-called 'conversion' hubs still rub even though they have more clearance)
or wheels/tyres considerably wider than standard.  Weak springs make it
worse especially fully laden.  Reducing the lip on the wing/fender is one
ploy, as is flaring the arches very slightly.  Harder rear springs also help
but may raise the rear and affect ride quality, adversly IMO.  Other than
that you are down to giving more lateral support to the axle, which I can't
comment on as fitting a pukka wire-wheel axle in place of the steel wheel
with conversion hubs cured mine.