Re: Roll bar style for a B question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roll bar style for a B question
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 16:44:09 +1030
On Monday, Mar 3, 2003, at 11:50 Australia/Adelaide,
BarrMark262@aol.com wrote:

> Have any of you installed styles other than those used for years in
> most of
> our LBC's? You know, the black tube type with bracing welded inplace.
> What do I need to know to make a safe version, but one a little more
> modern
> looking.

I guess you also have to ask about whether you are looking to save
money, look good - or save your skull.

My rollbar doesn't look very good and stops me putting my roof on -
maybe it is an extreme, but at least I can be pretty certain it will
save my skull under most circumstances.

Remember, you can't rely on your windscreen to hold up for long if you
roll the car, so draw a line between the top of your proposed rollbar
to the front of your bonnet and see if it dissects your head... ooops.
You don't have to call in a structural engineer to picture the forces
that would act on that rollbar in a rollover - do you think it would
support itself (or would it need bracing) or would your 'last line of
defence' simply collapse under the strain?

This is my rollbar.. there may be better looking designs but this one
is an approved racing rollbar so I feel I can trust it on the street,
too.

See #131 http://www.erickson.on.net/mgb/mallala/130800/ the little pale
yellow thing.

The rollbar was designed and installed by a scrutineer!

I guess what I am suggesting is I am not sure if you can go for form
AND function... but if you are just going for FORM over FUNCTION -
maybe it might look better without a rollbar???? I've been in too many
fights over this stuff so forgive me being a little punchy.

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia