Re: Coolant

To: "Bullwinkle" <yd3@nvc.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coolant
From: "james" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:08:34 -0500
Wow.  That is a really detailed site.  They admit, some of the info is
scientific, and some is anecdotal, but there is a lot of info.  A couple of
highlights,

Green coolants are safe for Aluminum.
The silicates in many coolants are great for protecting aluminum.
Because of their ability to reduce cavitation, they are also very desirable
in controlling cavitation in Al water pumps.
Distilled or soft water is recommended in Al to help prevent Al salts from
precipitating out of coolant.
Because of the properties of the orange coolant it can be hard to trace
leaks, I agree with this from my limited experience.

Quote:
What coolant should I use?
....If you are willing to religiously flush and change your coolant
annually, any aluminum compatible coolant will do.  "Aluminum compatible"
are usually the code words for "contains silicates". As long as a decent
silicate concentration is maintained, the presence of phosphate is
unimportant. Aluminum corrosion was extremely low in the presence of
phosphate, as long as the silicates were not depleted. Aluminum corrosion
rapidly accelerates once the silicate concentration drops. If you are not up
to annual changes, a phosphate-free, aluminum compatible coolant may be the
best choice.

Dex-cool can only be used with addition of an Al radiator as it seams to
destroy brass parts rather quickly.
Hard water increases the possibility of sludge forming in the cooling
system.
Distilled water has a higher potential for causing corrosion because it
contains few minerals.
Softened water can be worse because it can be filled with chlorides.

The conclusion seems to be that the greens are ok for Al.  Distilled water
or naturally soft water seem to be the best choices for water as, some of
the minerals in hard water can cause the silicates in the coolant to
precipitate at which point corrosion speeds up.

I did my best to scan the page, there is so much info there it would
probably take a week to digest.  Thanks everyone for all of their help.  I
think I have my answer now.

James Nazarian
71 B tourer
71 BGT V8