Re: Creative way to become a DPO...

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Subject: Re: Creative way to become a DPO...
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 16:46:44 -0500
I think most places realize the damage it does.  However, some choose to
use it anyway.  They find the gravel or dirt inadequate, which it is, if
it's freezing.  There are other "ice/snow melt" products that are known to
be much better not only for cars, but the environment as well.

The problem is that products like that can cost twice as much (if not much
more) than salt, even if you use less of it to do the job.  But when salt
or road treatment is a significant amount of your budget (as in hundreds of
thousands, or millions of dollars), doubling or tripling that amount is
just too much for some townships.

I live in New Hampshire (and grew up in Vermont). Everyone is acutely aware
of the damage salt does to vehicles (and the environment).  However, many
towns have to use it, just because they go through so much of it during the
course of a winter (especially THIS winter), and they just can't afford to
use some of the better products - it would kill the town budgets.  Instead,
everyone takes their car to the car wash as soon as the temp gets over
freezing, and wash the heck out of the wheel wells and the underbody.

I must say that being over freezing hasn't happened a lot this
winter.  Three days ago I was able to put the top down on my Saab and enjoy
the warm weather (40).  Last night and the night before it was about 10
below zero, not counting windchill.  I think I've been able to wash my car
twice since this winter started - it's just been too cold.

When it was up to 50, I also started up the B, backed it out of the garage
and let it idle.  It seemed to be oddly listing.  When I got it back in I
checked - got a flat on the right front.  Now if it only would warm up
enough, I'll change it. :)

- Tab