Re: Seeking a good tire pressure

To: William Killeffer <wkilleffer@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Seeking a good tire pressure
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:24:21 -0800
The "right" way to check tire pressure is to use a pyrometer and to
check the temperatures across the tire (three readings, inside, middle
outside). This, of course, is impractical unless you *want* to go
spend a couple hundred dollars on a pyrometer.

You don't mention which exact year and model car you have.

You also didn't mention spoke or steel wheels.

My BGT cornerweights out almost 50/50 with driver, so I run the same
pressure all around. At the moment, I'm running 35 PSI.

The front/rear skitteriness will be changed by the ratio of the
front/rear tire pressures. Judging by 70-series tires, R rated (not
SR, HR or VR) and the fact that you didn't mention brand and model,
I'd be willing to guess that your tires are not the grippiest tires on
the road.  There is a good chance that no matter what you do to your
tire pressures, the car won't corner as well as one where someone
spent $5-600 on a set of tires.

On the street, the component that has the biggest effect on a car's
handling is the spacer that fits between the seat and the steering
wheel. I've seen students knock 20 seconds off their lap times in a
day of training. If you can't comfortably keep up with another
car/driver, don't try. Back off and get there safely. Back when I was
younger and stupider (New years eve of '85 as I recall) I spun and
rolled my Sprite trying to keep up with a Volvo station wagon on Hwy 9
( a windy road in the santa cruz mountains).

If you want to optimize your cars handling via tire pressure, the best
thing you can do, is to find a safe place to go out and
experiment. Are there any large empty parking lots near you? The
problem with roads is that if you make a mistake, there may be
something to hit right near the road.

Pump your tires up to "maximum" pressure all around. Take a notebook,
note your tire pressures, drive the car around, note the differences
in the notebook. Note the hot tire pressures, take a couple pounds out
of either the front or the rear. try it again, take a couple pounds
out of the other end.  Lather, rinse repeat. Bring a tire pump or
portable compressor in case you over do it on letting air out. Don't
go much less than 30PSI if you'll be cornering hard, as rolling a tire
off the rim can lead to all sorts of unplannedfor excitement.

   Larry

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.