Re: Waterpump repair or replace?

To: menno.meijer@ict.nl, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Waterpump repair or replace?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 16:26:31 EST
menno.meijer@ict.nl writes:

> Does anybody know whether it's possible to
> "repair" the waterpump? If I scan through the
> part suppliers catalogs I only find new pumps
> instead of any repair-kits. (I thought that
> a leaking waterpump would be a common problem
> and that some sort of repair-kit would exist)

- - - - - - - - - -

Usually, a water pump leaks when the shaft bearing goes bad.  It leaks thru
the bearing, so rebuilding is difficult.  It's not like replacing a gasket.
When the bearing goes bad, it damages metal parts.

Incidentally, don't overtighten the fan belt when replacing the water pump.
A belt that is too tight can prematurely damage the bearings, causing early
pump failure and another expensive repair.

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)
'75 MG Midget (The Project)