measuring piston rise

To: mgs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: measuring piston rise
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:38:01 -0800
The application is my MGB with an HP supercharger.

I'm simultaneously trying to get things dialed in and learn about what
is happening with the motor, fuel/air ratios, power etc. I was able to
sort of measure piston rise on the dyno, but that doesn't work the
best under dynamic situations. I can't really have someone running
along next to the car with a mirror and a ruler measuring piston rise
as I drive down the road.

The carb is an HIF-44. I've noticed that the damper cap does not have
a vent in it like my old HS-2s and HS-4s did. I was considering
getting another damper cap and attaching some sort of vacuum sensor to
the damper cap and at least under steady state conditions that should
correlate to piston rise.

Is this likely to work? Has anyone already tried it? What is the
"vacuum", or pressure differential actually in the dome?

In almost unrelated news, I had an absolute blast at Drivers School
last weekend as a student rather than a driver. I had all sorts of
people complimenting me on the MG, and reminiscing about their own. I
repeatadly and mercilessly blew the doors off a G Prod (though he was
running DOT legal tires as I was) Datsun Fairlady 1600 Roadster.

A longer story of the weekend will follow.

   Larry

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.