mod MGBs was: RBB owners unite.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: mod MGBs was: RBB owners unite.
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:19:42 EST
In a message dated 13/03/03 11:11:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> I'm wondering about some things also.
>
> 1) Why is the ford rear end used so often in conversions? Is it
> strength? Seems an MGC rear end would do the same at an easier
> conversion.

Strong, compact, and not too heavy.

> 2) Is the Datsun 5-speed from a Z-car or the old roadsters. I
> remember not being too impressed with my brothers 5-speed from
> his 2 liter roadster racecar. It was better than the 4 speed but
> not great. Then again, his roadsters were pretty well trashed
> before he bought them, and never had much money.

The gearboxes on the 2000 (SRL 311) and 240 series had a lot of commonality.
IMHO there is nothing wrong with the MG box with OD (unless you can't find
one)

> 3) I've heard a number of negitive comments on the 1950 re-build
> of the B-series on theortical grounds. What's your practical experience.
> Of course, this is all theortical, as my engine is in great shape and
> the tranny is good to, maybe a slightly weak 3rd synchro.

The 1950 size isn't usually a problem.
Larger than that sure can be. The factory had poor control of castings and
core shift can result in walls that are way too thin, overheating, and in
extreme cases, actual perforation of the cylinder wall while in service.
Boring out even further and then installing liners is safer if you must go
much over 1950.

As a vintage racer, I would of course have no _practical_ experience of
larger than stock bore sizes......

Bill