RE: Alternator conversions

To: "'MG'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alternator conversions
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:55:42 -0600
> mentioned) after we shopped around at our local Montana auto
> parts stores.
> After fitting the alternator to the car, he found out that
> the alternator
> was not putting out the amps it should - his shop class at
> school measured
> its output at about 5 amps. And another student had a similar
> problem with
> this model of alternator, having to return three units before
> he got one
> that worked.

The quality of rebuilt units varies greatly.  And some rebuilders will only
replace a single failed component, rather than replacing all wear items.

The best bet is to find a local electric shop that will rebuild for you.
Their prices will be much cheaper than an exchange unit, and many can turn
them around the same day.