Re: Midget wheel color code ?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Midget wheel color code ?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:57:29 -0800
Those guys at the paint shop must have been newbies themselves. If they knew
anything about auto paint they would know that the Argent you were asking
about refers to a specific dull silver used on wheels and trim, not a
general auto body paint color. I don't know about catalyst-based paint --
the applications that used this color are all well before those paints were
invented. You might ask them about 1960-1980 (roughly) Chrysler Argent -- it
seems to be very similar. My Plymouth rallye wheels have the same basic
sheen and color as MG wire wheels.

An ancient Moss catalog in my collection shows these codes for wheel silver:
Ditzler DAR2593
Duplicolor FM-149

I suspect these might mean something to the counter guys.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149