Re: Weak Spark

To: bamadio@statestreet.com
Subject: Re: Weak Spark
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:51:33 -0500
Bruce,
   The carb mixture should be set once the carbs are balanced, and
adjusted to the satisfactory  lift-the-piston   method.  It sounds as
though you have done that, and experimented further to lean the mix yet
you still get the black fluff.
   Have you checked to see that the spark plugs are the right heat range?

   Have you seen signs that there might be a bit of oil-burning taking
place? This is not always visible in the mirror. If you suspect this,
have someone drive behind you as you coast downhill with the car in gear,
then step hard on the gas as you start up the other side.  There may be a
blue puff that gives the news we don't want to hear.
   My experience with weak spark has been that the plugs are wet and
black, with the carbon being hard.  With our TD compression being all of
7.5 - 1 or so, a spark strong enough to start easily and to run the
engine smoothly will not be the cause of the fluffy accumulation you are
getting.
Bob