Death by Starting - help!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Death by Starting - help!
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:44:14 -0500
I had my '78 MGB out for the first day last Friday (first day of
Spring).  Had to trickle-charge it to get the battery up, but then I drove
it for at least an hour - drove great.

Today (Monday) I went to take it out, and although it fired, it never
caught.  Instead, I heard a sharp quick metal clunk from the front right
passenger side, and the power went dead.  I'm guessing the clunk was the
starter solenoid, though I couldn't tell if the starter went or the
solenoid just retracted because the power went out.

I tried it once or twice more, then popped the hood and looked in with a
flashlight.  Fuses seemed to be okay (I didn't check the inline ones though).

I get back in the car, after dropping the hood (not sure if this is a clue
or not - debating a loose connection that might have felt better after a
jiggle).

Tried the ignition again - again it fired, but again the noise from the
front passenger side, and again the power loss.

I might have once again managed to get it fired, but it wouldn't catch
because we'd lose power again.  Each time, the noise (presumably the
solenoid), and then death.

Possible clue - I did notice that when the key was moved to either the "on"
(#2) or "start" position, that even the clock had no power, though when I
put it back on accessory or removed the key, the clock would tick.  I'm not
aware that the clock normally stops while starting the engine, but I
honestly never paid it attention.  I'd be surprised though.

I will note that now, even with the clock ticking, all the other
accessories seem dead (like the radio).  Turning the key does absolutely
nothing, except cut out power to the whole car.

I can make some guesses, but they're not based on a lot of experience.

btw, electronic ignition, though I don't recall the brand.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

- Tab