Re: Spring, stock length and arch

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spring, stock length and arch
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 02:06:31 -0800
Well,

It seemed like a good idea at the time. A friend offered me a set of
Datsun Roadster springs. They are the right diameter and are about the
spring rate that I wanted to try. But they were about an inch longer
than the MG springs. I figured with the 3:1 lever of the wheel to the
spring, even with them being 30% stiffer it would only raise the front
of the car about 1/3 of an inch. Since the rear is higher anyways,
that wouldn't be a problem.

The problem was that I divided when I should have multiplied. They
raised the front of the car 3 inches. So my MGBGT is now 25 1/2" to
the chrome strip in back and 27" (up from 24") in the front.

On the bright side, I really like the stiffer springs. I took it for a
test drive and the extra stiffness didn't totally jounce my kidneys,
but it certainly improves the responsiveness at turnin, and the car
corners a lot leveller.

After reading Marc Sayer's article on the roll steer designed into the
rear springs on MGBs, it occurs to me that if I make shackles to level
out the rear springs, not only will the car be level, and no longer
have the roll steer dialed in, it'll be well prepared for the
rallycross in three weeks.

   Larry

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.