Re: Need accurate Spanish to English translation (yes MG

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Need accurate Spanish to English translation (yes MG
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:34:01 US/Mountain
I forgot to take out the trailer in what I sent to Barney and Paul.

Check this webpage for wiring of VW regulators.  D- is a ground, D+ is
power from the generator, DF is the field.  The tab 61 of G1 or B1 -
whichever it is is designed to go to the idiot light on a VW, and B+ goes
to the battery (on a VW, it also goes to all constant hot terminals which
mostly go through the light switch, but some go through the steering
column).  This regulator setup/connection was common on VW's in the late
60's and early 70's - a stock regulator should be cheap (less than $30) -
the solid state may even be cheaper.  Anyhow, I had one (non-solid-state
regulator) on a MG-TD kit car - and had a lot of charging issues, but then
it is a fiberglass car, more or less, and that always creates a lot of
grounding issues.

http://www.hallvw.clara.net/wire6870.htm

As I said to Paul and Barney - it would make more sense to me to buy an
alternator with an internal regulator and get the additional output.  But
do what you must!  You can even get a lucas unit, and run through the
standard regulator, using it as a terminal block instead of using it for
its regulation abilities.  I got my Lucas Alternator for $62 + a $20 core
charge (I had a generator prior), and the only adaption I made was using a
long bolt with a lot of washers on it (or a cut piece of pipe) for the
rear alternator mount.

Phil Bates
'67 MGB with an internally regulated alternator
'58 MGA that will get an alternator when I run out of generators