front and rear cover gaskets

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: front and rear cover gaskets
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 18:40:41 -0600
Since I have the manifold off and they appear to be leaking, I'm replacing
the above gaskets (rubber, pp. 64 Moss, #8) tomorrow.
I do remember this installation being discussed on the list in the last
year, but an archive search came up with ziltch. If I remember correctly, a
lot of you have had trouble getting them to seal. What methods of
sealing/installing have been successful for you?
While I have them off, is there anything inside the block I should check?
Being the mechanic that I am, I don't even have a clue what is beneath these
covers :-).
I now have renewed all brake shoes, pads, cylinders, and hoses, and have
(hopefully) replaced the old fluid and bled the system. Tomorrow I'll
install a new handbrake cable and hopefully start assembling the manifold,
refurbished heat shield, exhaust system, and put the rebuilt carbs and all
new hoses back on (all on the 67B).
 Update: The 79 is "still" (since Feb. 10th) in the paint shop-evidently he
is working it in between insurance jobs. I'll not complain since he is only
charging $1300 and is taking it down to bare metal, welding in new doglegs,
rewelding and fitting the boot lid, fixing the crack of doom on both sides,
and putting three coats of Carmine back on. I've had him do work for me
before and he is very much a perfectionist. So far, he has one side and the
boot and bonnet sanded to bare metal. No rust so far, except a small amount
on one dogleg.

Thanks,

Monte
          79B, Carmine