RE: front and rear cover gaskets

To: "'MG list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: front and rear cover gaskets
From: "Larry Hoy" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 08:19:42 -0700
I find this method works very well for sealing the tappet covers.

First the cover must be straight, kinda a 'no brainer' but necessary.
Then clean the surface of the cover where the gasket sits.  I 'glue' the
gasket to the cover with an aggressive sealant (silicone, gasket maker,
etc.).  Clean the block where the gasket sits.  I've use the bushing and
cup system under the bolt head. [Moss #324-335, 324-345]

Use Hylomar on the gasket before you put the covers on the engine.  Bolt
the covers on, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.

I prefer the rubber gasket, although the cork one will work fine.
You'll fine varying opinions on this.

Mine never leak when I use this method.

Larry Hoy