Re: Which way is the thread ?

To: Sam Perera <sam_perera@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Which way is the thread ?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 03:17:27 -0600
At 04:13 PM 3/30/03 -0800, Sam Perera wrote:
>I am trying to remove the rear axle hub nut on the passenger side on my
>MGA 1600 roadster MK I. Should I turn it clock wise or anti-closkwise tp
>remove the octagonal nut ? Can I assume itis the opposite way on the
>driver's side?

I presume you're talking about the bearing retainer nut, not the wire wheel
knockoff.  The bearing nut is right hand threaded on the right side of the
car (facing forward) and left hand threaded on the left side of the
car.  Assuming a left hand drive car, with the passenger on the right, the
passenger side rear axle bearing retaining nut would turn anti-clockwise to
unscrew.

For early production MGA 1500 cars they used right hand threads on both
sides until disc wheel car 10917 (Dec 55) and wire wheel car 11450 (January
56).  From "Original MGA" by Anders Ditlev Clausager.  My best guess is the
Moss catalog is wrong in stating car number 11540.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com