Battery for MGA and MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Battery for MGA and MGB
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:47:37 GMT
I haven't been watching the list very closely lately (I get the digest), so I
don't know if someone has already covered this.

I've got a couple of new options for batteries in the MGA and, to some extent,
the MGB.

I'm a big fan of Optima batteries, particularly for the British cars that don't
get used that often.  Even my '88 XJS hasn't been able to kill its Optima, and
it is notorious for eating batteries.

Until now, however, fitting an Optima into the MGA has not been an option,
given the tight fit in the battery holder and the difficulty of wedging it down
into it through the battery cover.

I discovered, however, that Optima offers a slightly smaller battery that will
fit.  It is a tad longer than the Group 26 size that everybody recommends, but
will still fit pretty well, with the right width and height.  It will also
slide down through the battery cover with a bit of jiggling.  I've seen it for
sale in only two places:  At a Pep Boys and through Summit racing
(www.summitracing.com), search for part number ULT-9022-091.  It has 870cca(!),
even more than their regular battery.

The other option is a Mazda Miata battery.  It is quite a bit smaller than a
Group 26.  It uses Absorbed Glass Mat technology, much like the Optima,
although it requires venting, unlike the Optima.  My guess is that it will last
perhaps a bit longer than your "normal" battery, but not as long as an Optima.
They are also cheaper at about $85.  You can find it at
http://www.westcobattery.com/miata.html with free shipping.  It has "only"
475cca, but it should hold up well in a MGA or MGB.  Moss Motors also sells
this battery and another one for the Miata with a strange name (starts with a
Y) for about $60.

Hope this helps someone else...

David Littlefield