RE: ? about MGB (1978) books & de-smogging

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: ? about MGB (1978) books & de-smogging
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:43:34 -0600
> >.... is it feasible to install the intake/exhaust systems
> from an earlier
> >model onto the 1978 engine? ....
>
> Yup.  Done all the time, and basically a bolt in.  Check here:
> http://chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/carbswap_zs2su

Barney (and anyone else with answers), a couple of questions about what you
have on that page:

1)  I would think that adding engine mount shims would put extra stress on
the transmission mounts.  How much can you get away with before it becomes a
problem?

2)  You've gone back to the pre-water choke style of heater return pipe.
Since the '76 still has the radiator up close to the engine, you can use an
early lower radiator hose.  For the later cars, with the forward-mounted
rad, you'd have to use a lower hose like those used the UK during that time.
Does any U.S. supplier stock those, or does one need to be ordered from a UK
supplier?

3)  What did you do about the water choke takeoff in the head?  I've heard
of folks tapping the hole and putting in a bolt, as well as fabricating a
plate blank it off.