RE: ? about MGB (1978) books & de-smogging

To: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: ? about MGB (1978) books & de-smogging
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:21:08 -0600
At 02:43 PM 3/31/03 -0600, Chuck Renner wrote:
> > >.... is it feasible to install the intake/exhaust systems
> >.... Done all the time, and basically a bolt in.  Check here:
> > http://chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/carbswap_zs2su
>
>.... a couple of questions about what you have on that page:
>
>1)  I would think that adding engine mount shims would put extra stress on
>the transmission mounts.  How much can you get away with before it becomes
>a problem?

Not a problem.   The rear mounts are very flexible with the small range of
change here.  A quarter inch at the front mount is nearly negligable at the
rear.

>2)  You've gone back to the pre-water choke style of heater return
>pipe.  Since the '76 still has the radiator up close to the engine, you
>can use an early lower radiator hose.  For the later cars, with the
>forward-mounted rad, you'd have to use a lower hose like those used the UK
>during that time.  Does any U.S. supplier stock those, or does one need to
>be ordered from a UK supplier?

If you need to lengthen the bottom end of the lower hose, just add a short
piece of straight hose, using a piece of exhaust pipe tubing and two more
hose clamps for the connector.

>3)  What did you do about the water choke takeoff in the head?  I've heard
>of folks tapping the hole and putting in a bolt, as well as fabricating a
>plate blank it off.

Close it off any way you find most convienient.  I believe we used a flat
plate and gasket.  If you had to make the blaking plate by hand, then
tapping the hole for a tapered pipe plug might be easier.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com