Re: How To Take Along A One-Year Old In An MGB

To: "MG List Postings" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: How To Take Along A One-Year Old In An MGB
From: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 21:22:29 -0500
> Not all of us.  Some of us realize if we hit a small car in a big car,
> those in the big car are going to have a better chance than those in
> the small car.

Andrew,

No question about that!  But since you done got me started: The laws of
physics to which I refer are: One. That four wheel drive does not preclude
sliding out of control on ice.  Two. That trucks are not very good choices
for irratically negotiating traffic at high speed (you hit on this one with
your rollover observation).  And Three. (as I alluded to in my first post)
Being in a large vehicle does not reduce by very much the need for
restraints in event of an accident.  There must be a number Four, but it's
late.

I'm not anti-SUV at all.  I adore our Jeep (the family wagon is a '96 Jeep
Grand Cherokee - not huge but not exactly small either).  We take the Jeep
off road often as one of our familly activities - including Camp Jeep
whenever it comes to Virginia.  We also tow the racing B with it.  We also
stuff fire wood from floor to ceiling in the cargo area (today I liberated
ants hibernating in the debris that came alive in the 70+ degree warmth!)
We ride in friends' Suburbans every now and then and think they are so very
nice at conveying two families at once.  But the reality is that most of the
time most of the SUV's on the road are driven by one unaccompanied
individual with no cargo who neither needs nor can adequately handle one -
and just forget about off road excursions.  I feel the same twinge when I
look at wealthy indivuals behind the wheel of new Porsches, BMW's and
Jaguars.  They usually don't even comprehend the significance of the
vehicle's capabilties and history, let alone take advantage of them.  Anyone
with the means has the right to own and drive any car they want.  At the
same time I have the right to hold them in contempt!  Funny thing is, I've
never met an MG owner I didn't like - even those persnickety concours types.
;-)

Dean