RE: Chrome costs

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Chrome costs
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:40:48 -0600
On the topic of chrome, I  know its possible to shine up chromium parts. I
have some of the wheel trim rings for rostyle wheels that have a bit of
surface rust. I'd like to shine them up but... how do I make it last?

My Toyota Landcruiser has similar trim rings that were very rusted. A few
years ago, my son decided they could be cleaned up (he was younger and more
helpful then) and he shined them up with a buffing compound. I'd never even
thought they were chrome because of all the surface rust. But in less than
a year, they reverted back to their rusty form. so my question is - is
there some kind of protective coating that can be used to retain the shine
after the chromium is shined up?

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B