Re: Clutch and camber

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch and camber
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 03:23:06 +1030
"Dean T. Lake" wrote:

> > I took a sweeping corner at moderately quick clip and I felt a bit of
> oversteer.
>
> For some of us, we wouldn't have it any other way!  Moderate oversteer is
> the goal of every modification I've ever made to my B's suspension -

Would you prefer understeer/push?  Some people suggest that this is what
cars should do but I would rather the arse swinging out a little rather
than turning the wheel and still going straight - especially when
"straight" is towards a significant drop! Frightening!

But some people are frightened by a car suddenly "swapping ends" :-)
All things in moderation, I say!

No-one quite explained the understeer I would introduce when I installed
the 7/8" front sway bar the night before a race.  A close encounter with
a tyre wall and choking on my own dust soon educated me when powering
through a right-hand hairpin on cold tyres :-)

I go for a little bit of oversteer - but not that much that I can't turn
a hard corner without suddenyl finding myself going backwards (or 'round
and 'round).

Here is some interesting info:

This one describes the conditions and gives the nod to understeer:
http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/steering.html

This one talks about strategies for addressing either.
http://rogerkrausracing.com/overundr.html

There is lots more out there (but trust your mates more :-) - as someone
I know says a lot... google is your friend.

OK, I *will* go to bed now.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII