SU adjustment

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU adjustment
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:14:48 -0500
Thanks to all who responded about my carb piston not "clunking" into place.
I checked all items everyone suggested, to no avail.
I believe I have figured out the problem, though. Overfilling the dampers
caused new 20-50wt oil to run over and down the outside of the damper tube
when the damper was forced down into it's tube, which caused the piston to
become "sticky" when sliding up and down. When this oil was cleaned off
everything clunked down into place properly (until I overfilled them again
and had to repeat the cleaning process) although lifting the piston up
beyond where the lifting pin lifts to still causes quite a bit of
resistance.

Now I'm into the adjustment phase and have started out with the throttle
adjustment screws screwed in one turn on each carb and the jet adjusting
nuts screwed out 12 flats. I've, of course, encoutered another problem. Once
the car starts it doesn't want to run unless I put the UniSync over the
front carb to shut off some of the air suction. When trying to put the
UniSync over the rear carb, I have to manually increase the throttle and
then the car dies when the UniSync is put into place (on the rear carb). Do
I need to do some adjustment of the jet on  this carb, other than the
starting point of 12 flats down?
Suggestions needed!
Thanks,
Monte