Socket for late MGB rear hub nut

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Socket for late MGB rear hub nut
From: James Feyrer <james.feyrer@Dartmouth.EDU>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 20:26:33 -0400
I am in the process of replacing a bad real wheel bearing and just
discovered that my 1-1/4" socket is too small and my 1-3/8" socket won't
fit in the wire wheel hub.  Apprently, the nut is 1-5/16".  Will a
standard Craftsman 3/4" drive socket fit inside the hub?  If not, any
suggestions for sockets with a thin enough wall to work?

On more question.  Will a standard hub puller do the job on the wire
wheel hubs?  Any other hints on the rear axle strip would also be
greatly appreciated.  I have the Lindsay Porter book and am using it as
a guide and it seems reasonably straightforward.  My apologies if this
has been talked about to death in earlier threads.  Thanks in advance
for your help.

Jim
--
James Feyrer