Glass Pack Muffler or Peco - Comments

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Glass Pack Muffler or Peco - Comments
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 22:21:47 -0400
After 3 or 4 years of a small "bullet" muffler in the center pipe & a
Supertrapp at the rear of a 1-3/4" system, I installed a Peco 2" system last
weekend.  It's now only a little louder than a stock sounding MGB, and I
miss the small-block V-8 sound that the old system emitted.  Guess I can
live with that though since 95% of the time I drive it on public streets.
And, the old system's noise was tiring on the highway

However, I have a problem with the space available for the Peco muffler.  It
rests against the left front side of the fuel cell.  So, I have had to put
layers of header insulation on the cell.  At the same time, the rear of the
muffler only has about 1/4" of clearance from the rear spring shackle bolt.
Bottom line, this Peco muffler may be fine on a stock MGB, but doesn't quite
do it on mine.  It is going to take some modification of the angle of the
input pipe to fit decently.  A project I don't need right now.

And, my biggest complaint is with the header.  It required a lot of grinding
at a very acute angle to get the flange to match the exhaust ports on the
head.  And, the welding around the pipe/flange joint isn't very thick.  I
can see that down the line, I'll have to have some additional welding done
on it.  In addition, the flanges on the header are far too wide around the
studs.  Those have to be ground down as well.

On the plus side - unlike the previous Ansa header which required a "dent"
in the center pipe to clear the steering shaft, this Peco header clears it
with ease.  And, the free-flow the full length of the system should help the
top end.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB