MGA clutch info

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA clutch info
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 20:18:56 -0600
Ok, my clutch started slipping, so I'm replacing it.  I wanted to do
some other work while I've got things out - but am a little strapped for
cash.  The clutch disk I have was a replacement about 4 years ago, and
has few miles, but they are hard miles - long story short, I'm not
surprised it's shot already.  Last time I did this job, I replaced the
clutch and pressure plate, because I could (i.e. it's just good practice
while out) - but the new replacement pressure plate was bad, which
caused some of the hard miles - so my quesiton is this - how thick is
the clutch disc suposed to be??  I have the old disc laying around
somewhere, and thought I'd check it's wear - it could be virtually new,
as the car was fairly new to me at the time.  I know it isn't the best
practice, but I'm thinking my older pressure plate is good, and newer
isn't - if the lining is intact on the old disc, maybe I should save
some cash there too.

Anyone got specifications for this (clutch plate thickness)????

Phil Bates