Re: Valve cover venting........

To: MGALUVR@aol.com
Subject: Re: Valve cover venting........
From: Bill McLeod <wbmcleod@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:11:05 -0700
What actually needs venting is the whole air chamber within the engine,
which includes all the area in the block above the oil level and all the
air passages in the head.  All these air passages are interconnected, so
if you vent one place in the engine, you have vented them all.  Many
engines vent off the side of the block, as in the Triumph or vent out
the timing chain cover, or, in the case of the MGA, vent out the side
tappet cover.  If there is a pipe coming out the side of the engine
which rises and then curves abruptly down toward the ground, you are
already vented, and do NOT need to vent the valve cover.  All that
venting achieves is to allow the pressure that builds up inside the
engine from each detonation (which leaks a little down the side of  the
piston every time that cylinder fires) to equalize with the ambient air
pressure.  You should have adequate venting, as long as your tappet
covers are not both sealed.
Hope this helps
Bill McLeod
Slightly Classics