Re: Valve cover venting........

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>, Bill McLeod
Subject: Re: Valve cover venting........
From: "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 21:19:48 -0400
SNIP
> >do NOT need to vent the valve cover.  ....
>
> There is more to it than that.  An engine needs two
> vents, an inlet vent  and an outlet vent, and some means
of making air move through the  crankcase.  This is to
purge and remove fumes, byproducts of combustion,
> and condensation from the crankcase to keep this stuff
> from building up in  the oil (sludge) and coating the
inside survaces of the engine (scum).

This is VERY true.  Our '63 Ford Galaxy 500 with the 352
V-8 had the first generation PCV.  Before this time, most
engines used a road draft tube and vent on the valve cover.
 In our case, something apparently happened to the crank
case ventilation system allowing this amazing scum or crud
to build up inside the valve covers.  By the time that we
found it, it had completely filled up the all of the space
in the valve covers save for the the actual space taken up
by the rocker arms. The stuff was so hard that we had use a
screw driver to chip away at it. It WAS bad.

Gene Balinski

80 B
http://www.nni.com/