Re: concrete oil stain cleaner

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: concrete oil stain cleaner
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 13:29:54 -0700
We call that "kitty litter"... <g>.

The old-style clay-based kitty litter was a reasonable oil absorbent. But
the newfangled "clumping" and "crystal" types are completely useless, and
create an even bigger mess, so be careful. Auto and hardware stores usually
carry bags of clay-based oil absorbent, which resemble kitty litter, but are
much better adapted to the task, and clean up much easier.

But the purpose of an absorbent is to clean up a liquid spill. This is a
different problem than bleaching out an old stain. For that I have used a
powdered cleaner which you scrub into a wet driveway using a broom, and let
sit. This worked reasonably well on 70-year-old concrete. I imagine this
formula contained bleach, as well.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149