RE: Buying Moss parts -- distrubutors

To: Mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Buying Moss parts -- distrubutors
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:14:50 -0500
> Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember paying for shipping when I
> ordered from Moss.

Yup.  Unless you order more than $500 at a time.  Then the shipping is
based where you are located and the dollar value of your order.

> The truth is, I like to receive Moss' mailings and I didn't
> want to be
> dropped from their list, so I ordered a couple of cheap items (motor
> mounts).  I'll admit that I plan on using LBC Co. for the majority of
> my future Moss purchases. Their prices are always less than Moss, and
> judging from their weekly emails, I like their friendly attitude.

Everyone I know who's dealt with Jeff at LBC has always said good
things.  I personally place most of my orders through Dick at
thebpc.com.  He doesn't have an online ordering system set up like Jeff
does, but he works quickly and does a good job of resolving any
problems.

> Proper MG is cheaper than anyone on some items, but I don't get their
> circulars anymore even though I bought a couple of floor pans
> from them
> six months ago.

I've also ordered a few things from Proper MG.  The kits they offer for
some common jobs are very handy.  Being able to order, say, a rear brake
kit with all the needed bits is a bit simpler than having to make sure
you've ordered each item.  If you've done the rear brakes a hundred
times before, this probably doesn't matter much, but if it's your first
time tearing into that item, it's nice.

I haven't received any mailings from them in some time either.

> TRF is priced competitively with Moss and VB, but I'll admit that
> wading through the Triumph parts to find the MGB stuff is a bit of a
> pain.  Seems like a honest company though.

When I get around to replacing the carpet in my car, I'll probably
contact TRF.  My '79 has the combination of black and tan carpeting.  To
my knowledge, TRF is the only vendor providing a carpet kit for this.
Everyone else simply sells single color kits.