Re: TD Still is Sick

To: Mike Razor <mrazor@mis.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TD Still is Sick
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 23:01:00 -0500
Mike Razor wrote:

> TD is still sick and can't seem to
> make it better.   Been running just fine until Sunday.  Drove it
> about 15 miles and let it sit for the day and got in it that
> afternoon, pulled the
> choke drove a few miles, pushed the choke in and after
> about 3 or so miles it started missing, back firing,  and would not do
> well under load.  Would kick out some black smoke when it back fired.
> Made it to the little garage that works on any and everybody's car and
> he housed it for the rest of the weekend.
> Today, the first thing was to free  the starter, which has never stuck
> before, then we checked out the dizzy, readjusted the
> points, timing and idle.  Drove it and still did the same thing,
> starts great, idles great but under load starts back firing and
> missing.  Put in new plugs, readjusted the points, set idle and
> timing, drove it about two miles ran great.  Brought the idle down
> from 1200 to 950.  Left the garage got about 5 miles away and it
> started missing, backfiring under load.
> Any suggestions.

Just to eliminate it as a suspect, I would check that the actual position
of the choke mechanism on the carb matches the knob setting in the car.

I would also wonder if the air filter has become nearly-clogged or
something has come loose and is acting like a flap on the pre-carb air
flow.

Never heard of a fuel-pump intermittantly going superhero.

-Rock     http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
"JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Rickey Preston Band (w/Rocky): http://www.rickeyprestonband.com