Re: Fast and Furious

To: "MGLIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fast and Furious
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 23:33:36 -0400
I would say that it is largely a product of the world most of us live in.
Most people see cars and most other things as disposable commodities, and so
few people even change their own oil any more.  While I can't (and don't)
disagree with much of what is said about ricers, my brothers are two of
them.  They started out with bolt on "go fast" wings etc.  One of them, the
one with some cash, drives a Mitsu 3000GT VR4 (AWD) with twin turbos running
28psi boost and it has the go to match the show, it also has a PS2 and video
screen mounted in it and a couple of subwoofers.  I think the flash is a
jumping off point because they just don't know where else to start.

I am amazed when working with them how much misinformation is circulated in
that crowd.  I read hot rod mags like car craft and GRM because they are
closer to my world and they do a lot of very thorough tests on speed parts
to see what they really do for you.  The import mags are so much about
looking good that there is very little objective info in the mags.

I have to say that after helping my brother change a clutch in his car that
the work ethic and desire to learn is there they just don't know how to get
started.  Lastly I have never seen any of them more wowed by an import then
they are by my V8.  For the ones that have progressed to know something
about cars they are impressed by most hotrods, just like other enthusiasts
are impressed by another hotrod or tastefully done show car etc.  Many of
them are impressed by guys like us because we posses so much of the
knowledge that they know they don't, unfortunately, there is the cool factor
that prevents most of them from admitting it openly.

I still laugh at big wings and body kits even on cars that I know for a fact
are hopped up, I just can't help it.

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8