Re: Cheap Tools

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>, Chris Thompson
Subject: Re: Cheap Tools
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:09:31 -0700 (PDT)
> So I think cheap tools are fine
> if the quality does not look cheap and
> it's for limited use (or if you have
> kids that use tools or will use tools).
> But for long term use or heavy duty use,
> spend the extra dollars to get a tool
> that lasts.

I agree wholeheartedly.  My cheap tools are beaters
that almost never get used for their intended purpose,
but once you've removed a nut with a good socket, a
cheap socket feels like a dog's butt.  Or an open end,
or whatever.  My Hazet wrenches have the best balance,
and they fit so much better on the nut.  I never round
nuts with my quality tools, but I'll round them
occasionally with a Craftsman.  Heck, my Facom sockets
even remove seriously rounded nuts sometimes - nuts
that would be WAY too rounded to get off with a
Craftsman socket, and the ratcheting action is
extremely fine compared to a lesser ratchet.  If
you're working with limited space, you can get more
movement with a good ratchet than you can with a cheap
one.

Plus, the Hazets open-ends I have are lean and slim
compared to the same type Craftsman wrenches I have,
so they occasionally get down into gaps and give me a
bit more room than a cheap wrench.

If you work on your car a lot, really fine tools give
you a lot of pleasure.  It's not just that they last.
They physically work better.

=====
Paul Misencik
1971 MGB Tourer - Blaze