Re: Cheap Tools

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cheap Tools
From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 17:50:59 -0500
Chris,  While Stanley makes a number of different brands, they are not
quite all exactly alike or even necessarily made in the same plants.  MAC
tools are made in USA only plants because that is a requirement of that
brand.  Proto also.  The designs of the tools from one Stanley brand to
another are slightly different from one another and in most cases, if you
held the two side by side, you would see some difference in shape,
diminsion, etc.  Same goes for Husky.  And actually, when I left the
business a few years ago, Husky was being coverted from USA to Asia
sourcing (but as I said earlier, the quality of the tools based on the
destructive testing was just as high as the ones made in the USA).  You
would think that eventually, they would simply begin using exactly the
same wrench for all of the different brands, but they haven't yet.  Brand
uniqueness is still a large concern with each customer and brand manager.
MAC distributers would have a fit if they walked into a Home Depot and
found EXACTLY the same wrench on the shelf with a Husky label.

By the way, on the subject of the polished tools, I'll share the origin of
that finish (at least in the Stanley world).  Stanley, years ago, began
manufacturing polished wrenches in the Proto brand for use in nuclear
power plants, Navy nuclear powered ships, and other similar environments
where cleaniness is a safety issue.  The polished finish allowed mechanics
to ensure that there was no trace of any residue or contaminant on the
tool when they finished the job.  Later, polished tools began to spread in
popularity because they looked cool and only the professional mechanics
had them.  It is a more expensive finishing process then the matte finish
and that is reflected (no pun intended!) in their price.   I love having
polished wrenches because cleanup is so easy. And they look cool!  ;-)

-Greg