go for balance or rings?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: go for balance or rings?
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 00:27:02 -0700
I'm going to have to replace at least one of my pistons. I have 3
others that have about 5,000 miles on them. They're just getting
nicely worn in.

When I buy forged pistons from someplace like Venolia, is the
machining process so consistent that I can just replace one of the
pistons and leave the other four with their happy rings in place? Or
would I need to pull them all and balance them? Or just one and
balance the new one with that one?

I'm at that dangerous stage where I know just enough of so many things
where both A and B are preferable (balancing parts, well worn in
rings) but don't know where the priorities are.

--
                   Girling is not a verb.