RE: MGA Gearbox rear oil seal

To: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>,
Subject: RE: MGA Gearbox rear oil seal
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:57:26 -0500
At 05:49 PM 6/10/03 -0500, Lew Palmer wrote:
>The MGA 1500 used two different seals, as you may be aware. The early part
>number is 1H3339 and the later (commencing with the GD engine) is 1H3275.
>I'd be surprised, however, if they aren't in reality the same part. ...

The two seals are very different parts.  The early one is quite special in
construction with a steel shell that fits over the outside of the gearbox
housing  This is not the sort of thing you will be able to find at a local
bearing house.  The later type 1500 internal seal can be replaced by a
conventional garterspring seal.

The very late 1500 unit (3rd generation) used the rear ball bearing and
flanged output with another internal type seal.  This gearbox was carried
over into 1600 production and is commonly refered to as the 1600 gearbox.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com