MG "racing"

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG "racing"
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:16:52 -0700 (PDT)
After a long absense for track events of any kind (I
used to race Formula Fords and Formula Vees, but my
last license expired about a decade ago), I find
myself gettign the track bug in a big way.  I need
some assistance from the list about options.

Here's my situation:

1)  I want to use my 1971 MGB, but it has to remain
primarily a street car.  Therefore, I need to be able
to bolt the roll bar in and out, leave the lights in,
etc.

2)  I don't care one whit about being
super-competitive.  It doesn't have to be "racing" at
all (although it certainly can be).  I just want to
get out and run around and get some "track therapy"
back into my life.

3)  I've tried autocrossing in parking lots with
courses made from traffic cones, and although I know
it can be fun, it's not the same for me.  I need to
get out on a proper road course, or even better, do
the occasional hillclimb or something.  I would LOVE
to do a hillclimb now and again.

4)  I'm a member of my local MG owners club, and it's
awesome, but it's not the kind of club where they'll
organize track events.  It's more a "drive slowly out
to a petting zoo for the day" kind of club.  That's
not a knock on them, but it's not a source I can use
to get out on track.

5)  Although I am more than willing to buy any kind of
safety equipment I'll need, go to any schools
required, etc., I can't trailer the car all over the
country to go to events.  So I need something that
will offer at least two or three good events a year in
the Mid-Atlantic area.  The Carolinas, Virgina, etc.
Road Atlanta isn't a problem, but Mid Ohio is...

Any thoughts?  Any resources just for getting back out
there?  SVRA?  SCCA?  Even a club that will let me run
with them, like the BMW Car Club or something?  Is
anyone else in my region doing anything like this?

I can't watch Le Mans tomorrow morning without at
least feeling like I'm on the ROAD to getting back on
the track!

Cheers,

=====
Paul Misencik