Re: Brake light question

To: mvheim@studiolimage.com
Subject: Re: Brake light question
From: "Philip E.E Bacon" <pboldtrix@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:55:36 -0400
Max -- Just had this problem on my '67 BGTwith precisely the same
symtoms.   Could find no reason either, so I just replaced the switch
(less than $5)  I might add this is the second switch in two years (from
Moss)  It now works fine.  I chalked it up to inferior workmanship to
current aftermarket parts.  Wish I could find an OEM switch.
Phil Bacon

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:20:13 -0700 Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
writes:
> The other night another driver informed me that the brake lights
> weren't
> working on the B. I was astonished to hear this, so when I got home,
> backed up to a fence and tried to confirm the problem. What I found
> out
> puzzled me. There was no sign of brake lights upon normal
> application of the
> pedal, but if I really really pushed hard on the pedal (I mean
> ridiculously
> hard, with both feet), the brake lights came on.
>
> I could come up with an explanation for this situation if there was
> an
> adjustable, pedal-mounted switch, as in some cars, but the B has a
> pressure-sensing switch in the brake line, which I always thought of
> as
> bimodal (on or off above a certain threshold), not as progressive.
> Anyone
> have any insight? Obviously the switch has not (completely) failed,
> and the
> bulbs work.
>
> TIA,
> Max