Re: Manifold to CAT gasket

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Manifold to CAT gasket
From: "Chuck Renner" <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:46:57 -0500
> Now to the question of the day.  I was out with the car and blew out the
> gasket where the catalytic converter meets the manifold.  The car has only
> about 50 miles on it since I put in a new gasket.  Does anyone know of a
> better gasket than the one that Moss etc. sells for that purpose?  It is
just
> a thin paper like gasket and I have had gaskets that are more metallic on
> other cars.  Any ideas?

Steve -

BTDT.  I was blowing out that gasket so much that I could have the thing
replaced in under an hour and a half.  Thicker and/or metallic gaskets are
readily available at most good parts stores.  The rounded triangle is pretty
common.

That said, I kept trying thicker gaskets of different compositions, and
they'd always come apart.  The final solution?  I pulled and replaced all
three studs.  They apparently get pretty stiff with all the exhaust heat,
and no longer stretch properly to provide the necessary clamping force.
After the new studs, I never had another problem.