Brake/Clutch Hydraulics questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake/Clutch Hydraulics questions
From: James Feyrer <james.feyrer@Dartmouth.EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:00:15 -0400
I am working on a 68B that has been sitting for 7 years.  Before turning
to the engine, I am trying to sort out the hydraulics.  I replaced all
the rubber hydraulics at the corners and I will attempt to bleed them
after I reinstall the calipers.  My master cylinder was only about 4
years old when the car was put away, but I fear that sitting will have
taken its toll.  What are the odds that it will be functional?  If not,
what are my options?  I recall that I replaced the last master cylinder
with a new one because the rebuild procedure looked daunting (at least
in comparison to the front calipers).  Is this correct?

I am also pulling the clutch hydraulics apart.  The slave cylinder was a
mess.  The rubber boot was swollen with a rubber paste of dried up brake
  fluid and rubbber.  The pivot hole on the push rod is a very long
oval.  Should I attempt to rebuild or just punt and buy a new one?  Moss
lists a Lockheed slave cylinder and an aftermarket one for less.  Is
there any compelling reason (other than originality vs price) to prefer
one over the other?

Finally, how difficult a job is the clutch master cylinder to rebuild
should it turn out to be dodgy?

Last, are there any other systems that I should be checking before
moving on to the engine?  The car ran well before being put away and was
being used as a daily driver.  It has about 10k miles on an engine
rebuild (included rebuilt carbs) so I am hoping to avoid a lot of major
work.  Are there any pieces on the engine that will likely need attention?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim Feyrer
68 MGB