RE: Distributor repair or replace

To: "'Henry D. Reynolds'" <hdr@jump.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Distributor repair or replace
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:36:44 -0700
> hi y'all (long time lurker here)

> Automotive "modified" 45D4
> from APT $310. or should I attempt to sort out multiple
> problems with a 30 year old dist
> that needs... everything?

ok, This has me thinking again.  I need help from our UK brethren.  I have
got a 13H9694 (D41610) distributor on my desk.  It is specified in the UK as
being for a "Rubber Bumper" MGB Application.  Now, looking at my Clausager
book for pickies, I can see that the pictures on page 66 and 67 show two
rubber bumper UK models.  The 1975 model shows a vacuum connection on the
front HIF carb, e.g. ported vacuum.  The 1977 model shows a twin HIF carb
set with manifold vacuum takeoff, which also agrees with the factory parts
book showing the 13H9694 distributor fitting UK engines from 18V846H on
(about June 1976).  Now this does contradict the information that Paul Hunt
has up on his web site, which has had me confused for a couple of years.

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/

I believe the D41610 should be a manifold vacuum rather than ported vacuum
application.

This means that the 13H9694 distributor would be a good unit to install on a
US high compression car with twin HIF carbs that only have a manifold port.
Thus solving the perenial problem of what new distributor to fit on the
1973-80 conversion and high comp cars.

So Henry, my suggestion is to buy a new distributor.  The 13H9694 one is not
currently being marketed by Moss, but I'll change that if I can get some
confirmations from the UK.  You really don't want a "modified" distributor
unless you are running big mc nasty cam durations.  For street use you are
going to be better off with a correctly functioning vacuum advance
mechanism.

Kelvin.